Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorable Weekend

Emma and I had a great time in Chicago. For me, the best part of the weekend was on the train there. We had a great time talking, coloring, and anticipating all the fun. Aunt Rachael came and picked us up at the train station and we drove back to her apartment and realized that the power was out. Rach's building has a courtyard that you have to walk through to get to her place and it was sooo dark. We were all a little creeped out and there were huge sighs of relief when we made it in the door! We had a little candlelit pizza party--a nice way to start the weekend!

Emma took her sketchbook with her and drew a picture of Chicago. It was cute to see her vision of the city.Friday we walked around and went to the American Girl store, of course. When it finally warmed up a little we went to the Lincoln Park Zoo. All the animals seemed like they were so close. It was cool to see them like that but it's a little daunting to look a lion in the eye with only a little moat between you!It's been a long time since Emma and Aunt Rachael were able to spend this much time together. Emma was super excited so she got roudy quite a bit but I think Rach understood.The weather cooperated a little better Saturday so we walked along Lake Michigan and Emma played at the beach for a while. The water was absolutely frigid but, of course, Emma didn't mind. We also went to Navy Pier and rode the ferris wheel--Emma loved it. I loved when it was over. Emma's favorite was the swing ride. She rode it twice and probably would have ridden it all day if I let her!

There was this sweet little lily pond on the way to the lake. I would definately like to spend more time there the next time we go up.
Today was Emma's last day of school. She was very emotional and sad to say goodbye to Kindergarten. I am sad too, but more excited to be able to spend the summer together. I'm sure it will be a long summer and we will be happy for school to start again but I really miss getting to see her throughout the day. I know it will be a challenge to have her here while I am trying to take care of the kids but I think she will be a big help. She isn't allowed to watch tv except on the weekends so I am trying to come up with things for her to do while I am busy. Remind me of my positive outlook in a week or so...

No comments: